Tuesday, October 28, 2008

First day at health centre...

was pretty good, I mostly observed (apart from doing BP's, weights, heights etc) but I was quite happy to do that, as it was good to get my bearings and to get to know everyone. So bring on tomorrow, I am going to have a go at everything that is offered to me and try not to act to nervous. I guess what worries me, is that I will make a mistake and the nurse will think I am stupid. I need to have a bit more confidence in myself, I have the knowledge base to do this stuff, but just feel I do not have the clinical experience, but that will come with practice right?

That is one thing I do not like about the the degree I am doing, we have clincials in block of 2,3,4,6 weeks. So far I have done 2, 2 week and 1, 3 week blocks in the one and a half years I have been there, so that's a total of 7 weeks but only 4 were clincial as the other was mental health. Apart from practicums we do not have any practice in class, apart from the one hour they give us to learn something. I feel that the gaps are to big and by the time practical comes around we are to out of practice in our clinical skills. Yeah I know we can practice in our own time, and I do try and put practice in, but by the time you have assignments and exams, there is just not enough time to get the practice in. I would love it, if we were out 1 day a week every day of the semester, I think that would be so much better. I guess there must be a reason why they do it the other way :)

Anyway enough moaning, going to go and do some reading on diabetes, asthma and cardiovascular disease.

Tue 8:49 pm

No comments: