Monday, November 10, 2008

I am tired,

and dare I say this but abit bored of the health centre. It is starting to feel like all everyday is, is CVD assessments, diabetes checks, blood tests, vomiting children, leg ulcers, blood pressure checks, vaccinations (which I am not aloud to do). At least now I know I definitely want to work in acute care, don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed it, but I just feel like I will need something more in my career as a nurse. My friend is also in a health centre, and she is absolutely loving it, primary health is her thing, she does not want to ever work at the hospital.

Another thing that I am finding is that depending on which nurse I work with, depends on what kind of day I will have. Today was pretty good, my nurse let me do heaps and she just stood back and watch, but a couple of the other nurses, seem to forget that I can do it and just seem to go on automatic. So my new goal for the next two weeks, is to jump in and say would you like me to do this or that for you.

Words of the day:

Post - ictal: The state immediately following a seizure.

Postprandial: Occurring after a meal

Paraesthesias: Abnormal sensations such as burning, creeping flesh or tingling.

I have been studying antibiotics (for my exam) and the four ways that they stop bacteria, this is:

1. Inhibition of cell wall synthesis
e.g Penicillin, Cephalosporans

2. Disruption of the microbial cell wall
e.g Polymixin/ colistin

3. Inhibition of DNA replication, DNA synthesis and protein synthesis
e.g Tetracyclines, Aminoglycosides

4. Interference with metabolic processes
e.g Sulphonamides and Trimethoprim

Mon 8:19pm

No comments: