Monday, August 25, 2008

Quiet Day

Today was pretty quiet, so I only worked from 8:15am till 1:45pm. I cant really call what I have been doing as working really anyway more like observation. However I have learnt alot, and have really enjoyed these last couple of weeks away from tech. This semester has been pretty hard for me. I find it really hard to concentrate in class. This is due to a few people in our classes that constantly ask questions or have to comment on everything the lecturer talks about, otherwise they are telling everyone their life story for the 100th time. I know that I am not the only person that feels like this and from the sounds of talk around the place, a few people are about to lose their cool.

Today I sat in on a session about a man who is alcohol dependent both physically and psychologically. He is going to put himself under the alcoholism and drug act (1966) voluntarily. This is so he can go to a 6 month residential facility down in beep beep (south island). It was quiet emotional, I have found in the last couple of weeks that I am very sensitive and find myself going red with tears welling up when I hear stories about people and children in the area I live. I don't know if I want this emotional reaction to stop because I think that while this happening , it means that I am not becoming desensitized to these things. (By the way, I don't completely lose it or anything and nobody notices that I might be upset, it is not very noticeable)

No comments: