Sunday, August 17, 2008

First ever blog

Hi,

I am a 2nd year nursing student in New Zealand. A couple of months ago I was bored and typed in nursing student diary into google and have since read quite a few blogs. So I thought I would try it out for myself, I also thought it would be neat to have something to go back to throughout my training and when I graduate.

A few things I have noticed between New Zealand and USA:
- NZ is a three year degree, while I think USA is 4 years???
- USA seems to have much more clinical experience, which seems to be much more better then
what we do in New Zealand.
- USA seems to be much more medical based then what we have in New Zealand.

(This is only going from what I have read in other peoples blogs)

Just to give an examples of what a NZ degree is like year one papers were:

Semester one:
Nursing knowledge 1
Anatomy and physiology 1
Health and Kawawhakaruruhau (Sociology paper)

Semester two:
Nursing knowledge 2
Anatomy and physiology 2
Context of health (Psychology and human development paper)

Year two semester one, which I am currently doing now
Adolescence and young adults (Surgical/ mental health paper)
Pharmacology and physical assesment( to me this needs to be two completely different papers not joint together like they are)
History and philosophy of nursing.

So far my clincial experience has been:
-Two weeks in a rest home
-Two weeks in AAU (Acute Assesment Unit) at hospital
-And currently I am at A Services for three weeks.
So not much clincial experience really.

The spell check is not working so I apologise for any mistakes in spelling

No comments: