Thursday, May 13, 2010

Who would have thought

I would do a nursing degree and not be able to get an actual job. There are no new grad programmes where I live and there are no positions for level one RN's either. So I have had to apply to other cities. Which even if I get an interview and the slim chance of a job (with the whole of the north island applying at the two DHB's that are offering new grad programmes), my whole family will have to move and I do not know if we are ready to do that.

So far I have sent away for about 15 jobs and about five of those have been we are sorry but we will not be offering positions to new grads until next year. Please apply back then.

I am so angry, there were positions last year for the nursing students who finished half way through the year. Just none this year. I don't know what to do. It pains me to say it but I have even applied at about six rest homes and they are all filled up to.

I am thinking I might do some post grad study until the 2011 applications open in Sept. But that still means that I may not have work until Feb 2011.

Buggar it.

3 comments:

It's just me :) said...

Gah! I am so sorry. Seems like it is tough out there for new nurses. I will keep my fingers crossed that you will be able to find something. I can only imagine how frustrating things must be.

parlez-vous-kiwi said...

Wow is it really that difficult in NZ? They give the message that we need nurses drastically but have no new openings... Im about to start nursing school and this scares me a bit! Is it always like this in NZ and are there lots of others in the same boat? Thanks!

Xavier Izaguirre said...

C'mon chin up!!!

all the best, I am sure it'll turn out allright if you persevere, and there ar thousand countries where we are sort of angels anyway!

Xavi